The lips serve as a focal point of the face and attract the attention of other people. However, the lips are also prone to problems like dryness, cracking and chapping. This is because the skin on the lips is different from the skin on the body. It is thinner and does not contain oil glands, which make it more prone to most problems.
Most people camouflage their lips with great lipstick, but unfortunately, not even the most expensive brand can mask dryness and chapping. Others think that a quick layer of lip gloss can do the trick for dry and chapped lips.
However, there is more to lip care than just simple lip color or gloss. Getting beautiful lips requires a little effort on your part, but these are things that you can easily do at home.
Read on to find out how you can get beautiful lips in just ten steps:
- Follow A Regular Routine – Just as your facial skin needs regular skin care, your lips can also benefit from a regular skin care routine. Your routine does not have to be complicated at all. In the morning, scrub your lips with a soft toothbrush or soft washcloth. During the day, you can use moisturizing lipstick or gloss of your choice. When you arrive home, remove all the lip color with a hydrating makeup remover. Moisturize the lips with lip butter or balm before sleeping. A good routine keeps your lips soft and smooth, providing a good canvas for lip color.
- Hydrate, Hydrate – Lips are like sponges that absorb and lose moisture easily, so always take the time to apply a good lip moisturizer to keep them looking plump and supple. Use lip balms containing moisturizing ingredients like almond oil, beeswax, olive oil, shea butter and vitamin E. You can also use aloe vera gel, petroleum jelly, or even butter. Moisturizing should also be done on the inside as well, so make sure that you drink enough water every day.
- Exfoliate – Regular exfoliation can help slough off dead skin. Experts recommend that you should only exfoliate when necessary. For normal lip condition, this can be done around once or twice a week. If you have chapped or sensitive lips, do not exceed your exfoliation to more than once a week. There are many lip exfoliants available in the market, but you can also make your own scrub by mixing a little bit of brown sugar with water.
- Protect The Lips – Like the skin on your face, arms and back, lips also need protection from the sun. In fact, they are more susceptible to sun damage since they have thinner skin. Protect your skin by layering on an SPF-enriched lip balm before putting on lipstick. You can also use SPF-enriched lipsticks as well. Most SPF-enriched lip products are water resistant, providing you with protection throughout the day. Aside from that, try to avoid too much sun exposure during the day.
- Ditch The Bad Habits – There are many things that you do that damage your lips – even without you knowing it. Contrary to popular belief, licking your lips does not help in moisturizing at all. Saliva contains digestive enzymes which are drying in nature. Biting and smacking your lips can also cause cracking and peeling. Of course, smoking can also cause premature lines around the lips, drying and staining.
- Use The Right Products – Your lip products can also make or break the condition of your puckers. Make sure that you use the right products by buying only those from reliable and tested brands. Read up on the ingredients and favor those with moisturizing components like vitamin E, Shea butter, beeswax, olive oil, almond oil or even coconut oil. There are also lip products that contain antioxidants. Using products with from shady brands can do more damage than help. Remember to also check your lip products regularly and throw away expired ones.
- Lay Off On The Lipstick – Lay off on the lipstick when you can. Lipsticks, especially matte colors can be drying on the skin. Alternate your use with lip balm or lip gloss instead.
- Be Wary of Dry Places – Places with dry air such as air-conditioned offices or airplane cabins can have drying or chapping effects on your lips. Always take the time to re-apply lip moisturizer every now and then. You can also plug in an air humidifier at home or in your office to circulate moisture inside dry indoor air.
- Learn To Shape Naturally – With the right conditions, you can easily achieve beautiful lips with simple makeup tricks. First, apply lip balm on your skin to keep in the moisture. Then, use a lip liner to draw on the outline of your lips. This will keep the lipstick from bleeding when you apply it. Apply lipstick on your lips, blot it and top off with your gloss of choice. You can also follow a quick trick to achieve plump lips. To do this, take a lip liner that is slightly darker than your lipstick of choice. Draw over the line of your lips so that the lines are outside the lip area. Apply the lipstick throughout the lip area. Blend a small amount of foundation or platinum colored eye shadow on the center of the lips. Top off with lip gloss. This can give you an instant looking pout.
- Eat Well – Your skin’s health does not just rely on the external products that you use. What you take in can also affect the condition of your skin and lips. Make sure that you eat well and consume foods that are great for the skin such as antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Focus on foods rich in Vitamins A, B and C as well as Omega – 3. Do not forget to take the right supplements as well.
Getting beautiful lips goes beyond applying vibrant lip color. It may take a little effort and work, but these things mentioned above are things that anyone can easily follow. So go ahead and follow these simple tips that you can do at home. Follow them religiously and say hello to soft, supple, plump and beautiful lips.