Many people are not satisfied with the appearance of their ears due to congenital deformities. Some common deformities includea symmetrical, protruding, large or drooping low ears. These conditions are possible to improve with the ear surgery also called ‘Otoplasty’. It can bring about dramatic improvements in an appearance of a person.
Otoplasty or ear reshaping surgery is a facial cosmetic surgery procedure that is used to improve the external shape of both or one ear. Otoplasty may include ear pinning back, reduction of ear or ear lobe or reshaping of various bends in cartilage. Other ear reconstruction procedures involve giving shape to the deformed ear or absent ears. Ear surgery procedure can include reshaping, removing, adding or moving any structural component of ears.
Types of Ear surgery
- Ear pinning surgery: This surgery is generally done for the cosmetic purposes. Ear pinning surgery is used for positioning ears closer to the head sides. This is a fusion technique that combines removal of skin from the ears back along with cartilage sparing and scoring technique, to create a natural looking shape of the ear.
- Reconstructive ear surgery/ Augmentative ear surgery: this type of ear surgery is a type of otoplasty that is used for correcting the ear deformities due to injuries. It is generally used for correction of Microtia that is a congenital ear defect that happens in about 3 out of every 10,000 births. There is variety of reconstructive techniques used in this type of ear surgery for recreation of natural looking human ear. In some of the cases, the cartilage is removed from the ribs of the patient to enhance the ear and to help it in achieving a more natural appearance.
- Bilateral Otoplasty: Some of the patients have cosmetic concerns about their both ears. In bilateral otoplasty, ear pinning and reshaping surgery is conducted on both ears. It makes use of the same techniques and procedure as that of single ear Otoplasty.
- Ear Reduction Surgery: Some patients have large ears rather than having protruded ears. Ear reduction surgery is performed to reduce the size of large ears to give them more natural appearance. In this ear surgery, unwanted ear cartilage and skin is removed and ear is reshaped to give a more natural, smaller and proportional size. It is often performed with ear pinning surgery.
Ideal candidates for Ear Surgery
Anyone who feel uncomfortable with the shape, size and appearance of their ears and is in good health can undergo Otoplasty or ear reshaping surgery. In addition, people having deformed ears due to some trauma or injury can also undergo Otoplasty. There are some children who are born with defective ears. They are also an ideal candidate for reconstructive ear surgery.
Conditions that are treated through Ear Surgery/Otoplasty
Generally, people who are not satisfied with the appearance of their ears can take advantage of ear pinning surgery. Ears can have certain anomalies medically in regard to the size, shape and appearance of the ears. People who have any of such conditions can undergo surgical or non-surgical ear pinning back.
- Overgrown Cartilage: In some people the outer extended part of the ear called pinna, is wider in size as compared to rest of the ear giving an extended look to the ears. It is made up of soft cartilage and this condition is due to an overgrown cartilage.
- Undersized cartilage: It is almost an opposite of the extended or overgrown pinna. Some people have an under-developed portion of cartilage in pinna. This is due to the reason that the cartilage fails to form folds during the early developmental stages. Due to this reason, the outer ear edge remains protruding out instead of bending inwards towards head.
- Trauma/ Injury: sometimes trauma or injury can damage the ear or alter its shape. With the help of Otoplasty traumatic ear bending can be effectively treated. In case of injury, the ears may appear widely stuck out and disproportionate to the other facial features. This can also be corrected through ear pinning surgery.
Ear Fold Treatment
Ear Fold treatment offers quick, advanced, safe and effective ear reshaping. It is a non-surgical procedure that is conducted by making minimally invasive incisions. Then ear implants are placed inside the ear and given best possible position which allows the patients to exercise complete control over the shape of their ears leading towards ear pinned back.