Appearance of fine lines and wrinkles is the most prominent and natural part of ageing process which is more prominent on the skin exposed to sun such as on the face, hands and neck. Wrinkles are formed due to the breakdown of elastin, collagen and hyaluronic acid within the skin. This further causes the breakdown of skin’s support structure reducing its elasticity and strength. The skin fibre breaks down giving a rough texture to the skin which results in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Causes of fine lines and wrinkles
There are number of factors which contribute towards the formation of fine lines and wrinkles. Some are within your control while others are not.
- Ageing: this is one of the major factors. As we get older, the skin losses its elasticity and become more fragile. The production of hyaluronic acid, collagen, elastin and natural oils decreases making wrinkles and crevices more prominent.
- Sun UV exposure: another major contributing factor is the UV radiations of sun which accelerates the natural ageing process. The UV radiations break down the connective tissues of skin which cause premature sagging and wrinkling of skin.
- Smoking: it can also play a role in accelerating the normal process of ageing.
- Hereditary factors: these also play a part in creation of wrinkles and lines.
- Excessive facial movements: formation of facial expressions like squinting, frowning or smiling can also lead to formation of fine lines and wrinkles. Every time we use a facial muscle, it makes a groove under the skin’s surface. With ageing the skin loses its elasticity to come back to its place making permanent grooves.
How to Prevent Fine Lines & Wrinkles?
By adopting a proper skin care regime and using the right skin care products can help in preventing the formation of lines and wrinkles. Along with this, less sun exposure and changing the lifestyle habits can also prevent the early formation of lines and wrinkles.