Chemical skin peel treatments have been in use for skin rejuvenation since old times. During early period of 1900s, specialized chemical skin peel treatments were offered by the saloons which contained some secret ingredients. In 1950s, specialized phenol peels were used which had certain side effects like pigmentation and scarring. The purpose of chemical skin peels is to remove the layer of dead skin which is a primary cause of dullness and skin pigmentation giving an ageing facial appearance.
If we go back into the history, chemical skin peels had been used by the ancient Egyptians. The numerous pictures of Cleopatra has been seen in which she was taking a milk bath that has glycolic acid, which is a common component of contemporary skin peels used for skin exfoliation.
Why choose Chemical Skin Peel?
Our skin is the single most important body organ which plays a crucial role in giving us natural and young appearance but most of the time it is not taken care of, properly. Our skin is highly vulnerable to the weather changes, sun’s UV rays, pollutants, infections, trauma and hormonal changes taking place inside our bodies. Though it is often not admitted to be a body organ but actually it is the largest organ of body. In addition, skin is the most visible and evident body organ and it holds principal importance in the field of aesthetics.
Ageing is also one of the major factors which are responsible for dull, pigmented, dry and blemished skin. It causes the gradual decline of collagen and elastin within the skin.
The use of chemical skin peels aids in triggering the skin exfoliation process that leads to the promotion of rejuvenated and refreshing skin tissues. These peels greatly improve the texture and tone of the skin while restoring its natural glow, freshness and brightness. With a combination of other supporting ingredients, these skin peels restrain melanin production and bring about improvement in the texture of the skin, dullness, pores, pigmentation, and acne along with other parameters of skin.
Anyone can take advantage of chemical skin peels in a similar way as anyone can take advantage of facials. A single mild/superficial skin peel treatment is similar to having dozens of facials as they have high potency in terms of clearing and rejuvenating skin but in just few minutes!
Skin conditions treated by chemical skin peels
Skin peels effectively treat at least 20 numerous skin conditions / issues that includes but are not restricted to the following;
- Superficial wrinkles
- Sun damage
- Pigmentation / Melasma
- White & black heads
- Solar Spots / Age Spots
- Acne & acne scars
- Dead Skin Removal
- Uneven Skin Tone
- Dull Skin
- Skin texture
Types of Chemical Skin Peel
There are numerous kinds of skin peels available but all of these peels fall into any one of the following broad categories depending on their strength and formulation.
– Superficial peels (Glycolic/Salicyclic used at low strengths)
– superficial-medium peels (Jessners /LA Peel)
– medium peels (TCA/ trichloroacetic acid)
– deep peels (Phenols)
– Combination/fusion peels (can be of any strength depending on formulation)
Skin peel treatments available at CosmeDocs
Almost all the well-known chemical skin peels are stocked by Cosmedocs. However, for better understanding, we are mentioning some of the most demanded chemical skin peels.
- Extremely superficial to superficial peels with No Downtime.
- Appropriate for the early 20s age group to maintain radiant and glowing skin.
- Generally a course of 4-6 treatments is required.
- Superficial peels with No downtime
- Appropriate for use on acne prone and oily yet clear and young skin
The enzyme peels is a part of the Beta Hydroxy Acid Peel (BHA) family. These peels act quite mildly on skin and are appropriate to use on all kinds of skin specially the skin which is highly acne prone. These peels have Salicyclic acid which is an ideal option for treatment of oily skin vulnerable to acne breakouts, clogged pores and blackheads. Generally, this peel treatment is combined with the glycolic peels which help in effectively treating various skin conditions.
LA Peels | Jessners
- Medium Peel
- For 1 week there is mild skin flaking, tightness and skin dryness but generally no off time from work is required.
- Ideal option for acne, scaring resulting from acne and pigmentation.
Four peeling ingredients are used for formulating this chemical skin peel. These ingredients include Salicyclic acid, Lactic Acid and Resorcinol. This peel is ideally meant for the treatment of cystic acne, back acne, oily skin prone to acne, breakouts of acne and skin damaged due to sun exposure. It helps in eliminating the dirt and sebum which clog the pores and cause blackheads, acne breakouts and open pores. Layering of these peels can be done according to the condition of skin and required outcomes.
- Medium level Peel
- For 1 week it causes mild flaking, tightness and skin dryness but generally no off time from work is required.
- Stronger in strength as compared to Jessners peel in softening the scars caused by acne and uneven skin tone and pigmentation. It also treats wrinkles and fine lines.
- 1-3 treatments are recommended in every 4 weeks.
TCA is extensively used chemical compound for formulating skin peels. It is also utilized for removal of warts and tattoos. This peel has medium depth which enables it to perforate deeper skin layer. As a result the skin gets reorganized with an increased turnover of skin cells leading towards healthier and glowing skin with an increased production of collagen.
Peel to Reveal by Harley Street Formulations
- Superficial to medium depth peel
- For 1 week mild flaking (initiate on day 2-3), skin dryness and tightness occur but generally no off time from work is needed.
- It is a perfect fusion of acid and skin brightening skin peels which are formulated using the powerful and potent ingredients that effectively address the problems of skin from different perspectives. These include acne, acne scars, pigmentation, dullness and oily skin texture, pores along with after effects of photo-ageing/sun damage like that of decrease in collagen production.
Recently, Harley Street Formulations has introduced a Peel To Reveal which is an innovative chemical skin peel that has become increasingly popular among people as a lunchtime peel performed at CosmeDocs. This peel is a powerful composition of TCA, Salicylic, Lactic Acids along with multiple skin brighteners & antioxidants like Glutathione(GSH), Kojic, mandelic and azaelic acids and also papaya which is recognized for its powerful immune boosting and antioxidant characteristics. In addition to these ingredients, it also packed with numerous natural extracts that include Arginine, Glutamine, and Soybean, pineapple, licorice and bearberry.
A perfect blend of all the above mentioned ingredients creates a strong and powerful system that possesses an ability to treat almost all kinds of skin problems. Peel To Reveal can be customized according to the individual’s skin type as well as its depth and intensity can be adjusted if you do not want to peel heavily but still want to have the advantages of all the active performance ingredients. The price for Peel To Reveal starts from £120.
Perfect Peel | 1 Course for £250
- Medium density peel ( having a slightly deep effect)
- For 1 week there will be mild flaking, skin dryness and tightness. Good peeling for 2-3 days.
- Brilliant added advantage of phenol and retinol for the treatment of acne, acne scars, skin dullness/pigmentation, fine lines and wrinkles.
Instruction to follow after chemical skin peel treatmentDifferent skin types respond differently to the skin peel treatments which also affects the healing process. Therefore, you will get individually tailored instructions after your peel treatment in accordance with the type of skin peel treatment you have received. However, there are some of the common instructions which everyone who has peel treatment should follow after having the skin peel treatment.
- Do not apply makeup instantly after getting the peel treatment
- Do not rub or scratch the treated area
- Avoid going into the sunlight for at least 2 weeks after receiving the treatment
- You may be recommended to apply cold compression to have a relief from any discomfort
- Wearing SPF sun screen during the day time is highly recommended
- Apply moisturiser on your skin. Your doctor will recommend you some useful moisturising cream to be used post treatment.
Side effects of Treatment
No side effects are observed in majority of the patients and the skin looks almost normal after receiving the treatment. However, there might be some redness on the face but this is common and generally subsides in 1-2 days.
Rarely, there may be very mild sloughing which is normally associated with scabbing or weeping. If you develop this condition, do not touch or rub them as it will naturally fades away but if you would pick on them it will cause scarring leading to pigmentation on skin.
The downtime of the skin peels vary with the type and depth of the peel used. You can anticipate that your skin may tighten at first, appear darker and then starts peeling. This entire process may take up to 7 days. There is no downtime associated with superficial and gentle peels and the patients can instantly return to their normal routine life after having the treatment.
Again, the cost largely depends on the kind of skin peel used and how much depth is maintained. Your doctor will provide you with the details about the treatment cost in your initial consultation session. If you need to have any further information about cost, you can check our price tab or can directly approach us.