Spider leg veins and varicose veins are practically an interrelated phenomenon. With ageing, majority of people get swollen purple lines or swollen blue coloured cords that are spread all along the calves and thighs. These twisted blood vessels affect 3 adults in every 10. Women are more vulnerable and effected by this condition.
What are varicose veins?
Varicose veins are the large blood vessels in legs that twist and become swollen. They appear dark bluish in colour and raised outwards from the skin like lifted tunnels. They can develop on any part of the body but are most commonly seen on the ankles and legs. These veins are more commonly observed in women.
What are spider veins/ thread veins?
Spider veins or thread veins are tiny blood vessels that are twisted and become visible through the skin. They may appear in red, bluish or purple shades and can most often visible on the legs or face. There are different causes of appearance of these thread veins that include menarche, menopause, smoking, consumption of alcohol, strenuous muscular activities and can be even due to genetics.
People having spider leg veins may also experience:
- Swelling in legs
- Feeling of heaviness or achiness in legs
- Feeling of tiredness in legs
Common causes of Spider Veins
There are numerous factors which can contribute to the development of spider. These factors include;
- Pressure on Varicose veins
- Some Occupations which involve long standing hours like that of nurses, makeup and hair stylists, teachers, and factory workers
- Hormonal changes during pregnancy, puberty, and menopause
- Using the birth control pills
- Postmenopausal hormonal replacement
- History of having any blood clots
- Conditions that may cause an increase in pressure on the abdominal area, like tumors, constipation, and any externally worn garments like girdles.
- Excessive exposure to UV rays
Symptoms of spider veins
Spider veins can cause severe aching or cramping in the legs. The area affected by the spider veins may throb, ache, and burn or even develops a heavy feeling. These swollen veins can feel tender when touched and may reduce blood circulation causing itching ankles accompanied by swelling. This condition can also lead to the chronic changes in skin and tissues like skin discolouration and skin ulcer.