Individuals especially women are self-conscious about their body appearance. Individuals having loose, sagging and drooping skin around the midsection of their body or develop weak abdominal muscles due to excessive weight loss or after pregnancy, tummy tuck surgery offer the best surgical solution to contour and firm the body and achieve a youthful appearance. It is important to note that it is not a treatment for weight loss; tummy tuck helps to refine the body contours of a person when diet and exercise fail to eliminate the excessive stubborn fat tissues and cells.
Many of us strive to achieve flat and well-toned abdominal area which is often difficult to achieve exercise and diet control. Even, some individuals having normal body weight, sometimes develop abdomen that appear protruding or the abdominal skin become loose and sagging. The common causes of these include;
- Post pregnancy weight loss
- Previous surgery
- Significant weight fluctuations
Tummy Tuck Surgery is also referred to as “Abdominoplasty”. It is a surgical procedure which removes the stubborn fat deposits and excess skin. It also helps in restoring the weak or separated muscles giving a smoother and firmer profile. Majority of the patients reported improvement in their self-esteem after receiving this treatment.
A tummy tuck surgery narrow your waist line but not your buttocks and hips. For achieving a balance between the hips and waist line, along with tummy tuck surgeons often recommend liposuction of thighs and hips.
When to consider a tummy tuck surgery?
- If you have a flabby abdomen, stretch marks or excessive skin in your abdomen area which is not showing improvement with diet or exercise.
- If your abdomen shape has been affected due to pregnancy or excessive weight loss.
- If you develop a protruding abdomen which looks unattractive.
- If you have low self-esteem due to your stomach contour.
Considerations for Tummy Tuck Surgery
- Through tummy tuck surgery you can restore flat tummy
- It will give you contoured and improved body appearance
- It will give you a more youthful and contoured appearance
- You will develop a scar (located under the bikini area).
- If you have another pregnancy after the treatment, it will affect the results of the tummy tuck surgery so it is recommended that you undertake the treatment after you have finished with your child birth.
- Weight gain after abdominoplasty may place negative effects on the results of your surgery.
While considering a tummy tuck surgery, these are the three most significant pros and cons to consider.
Some important facts about Abdominoplasty Surgery
- Anesthesia given: General anesthesia
- Duration of surgical procedure: Up to 3 hours
- Stay in clinic or hospital: Usually home in 1 to 2 days
- Level of discomfort: Moderate to severe; that is controlled by giving intravenous pain medications
- Optimal result: after 3 months following the treatment
- Length of the effects of results: generally long lasting, unless any considerable weight gain or pregnancy happen